Friday, June 1, 2012

cake decorating debut!

So, I've always really enjoyed art and can't say that I was much of a baker (or better yet I guess I just didn't think it would ever become a hobby of mine). Something about cake decorating really caught my interest because the thought of molding and shaping cakes to look like objects just fascinated me! I started doing all the research I possibly could and ended up taking Wilton Cake Decorating classes at the local Michael's crafts store (really cheap fyi! A great way to learn all the techniques on a budget...four class sessions are only about $25). It took me four months to complete the four different levels offered by Wilton, and I can honestly say that I have a solid knowledge of cake decorating from baking/frosting/filling a cake to creating almost any gum paste flower under the sun. Nevermind the fact that I've also now accumulated so many supplies I don't even know where to store them. Now that I've laid the foundation I'm starting on my own, making custom cakes and practicing techniques...and might as well share my journey and what I pick up along the way!

Check out the Michael's link if you are interested in learning cake decorating on a budget...and when I say "budget" I mean budget price...not budget quality...the instruction was fantastic and I met a lot of great people...

http://www.michaels.com/Exciting-Classes/classes,default,pg.html

No comments:

Post a Comment